Saturday, June 18, 2011

Walmart and Karl Barth




     I loved this Walmart commercial as soon as I saw it. As the mother of two boys (men now), I was immediately captivated by the "star" of this commercial. I couldn't help but laugh at the seriousness with which he denied his use of the towel, even in the face of irrefutable evidence. There he stands, covered in mud, carrying a bucket of mud, with his muddy face clearly stamped on the towel and still he proclaims his innocence: "I never seen that guy in my life." 
     I wonder how many times God has shown me the evidence of my disobedience and I have refused to acknowledge my guilt? How often do I refuse to honestly look at myself--covered in  mud, carrying it around in a bucket? There I am, my likeness reproduced in mud-- sin and disobedience--and I deny my guilt. How can I dismiss the vanity, selfishness, and arrogance that is so clearly evident? How can I reject God's call for repentance? I can't, so I offer this prayer (based on Karl Barth's prayer number 43).
     Lord God, you know just what sort of person I am, and I know it too. Before you, I cannot deny it anyway: my hard heart, impure thoughts, disordered desires, and everything that has come of this and still comes of it -- my errors and transgressions, and so many words and deeds that do not please you and by which I can only disturb and destroy peace on earth. 
     Things do not work out without your speaking and working in me. I hold to your promise of grace and mercy, that Jesus Christ, your dear Son, has come to bring good news to me as one of the poor, to proclaim release to me a captive, and recovery from my blindness--to rescue me a sinner. You can do what I cannot. I believe and trust that you will do it--not because I am good and strong, but because you are. Amen.





No comments: