Saturday, July 7, 2007

Movie Thoughts

Last night Bill and I watched The Pursuit of Happyness starring Will Smith. Set in 1981 and based on the life of stockbroker Chris Gardner, the film chronicles his struggle with poverty and homelessness as he cares for his young son and serves an internship with a large brokerage firm. This movie is not Academy Award material and many, if not most, reviewers were anything but ecstatic about it. Some called it melodramatic; others found it gloomy and depressing. At least one critic panned the movie because it glorified materialism and the pursuit of wealth. Yet, for some viewers, The Pursuit of Happyness is a "feel good" movie. It reinforces the idea that America is the land of "boot strap opportunity." It reassures the audience that anyone who works hard enough, long enough, will be successful. After all, Chris Gardner's hard work was rewarded with a full-time job at Dean Witter and today he is a multi-millionaire. For me it was a disturbing movie. For every Chris Gardner who struggles and overcomes, there are thousands of people in this country who continue to struggle, who never overcome the grip of poverty. Thirty-seven million Americans live below the poverty level. Minimum wage is $5.85 an hour; a gallon of gas costs $3. As I sat in my comfortable living room watching the movie, secure in the knowledge that I had a place to sleep, I couldn't get Matthew 25: 35-40 out of my mind.

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’"

The Pursuit of Happyness is a disturbing movie.

No comments: