Sunday, July 29, 2007

Torture!!

I hate buying a new car. I mean I really hate it! As a rule, I only agree to buy a new car when my current car consistently leaves me stranded miles from home. However, for good reasons I won’t recount here, Bill and I bought a new car yesterday. Correction, we bought a new minivan yesterday. (Yes, I know I am well beyond my soccer mom years, but trust me I had my reasons for choosing a minivan.) Because we had spent hours on internet research, I foolishly thought we could accomplish this dreaded in task in four to five hours. We left home at 10 AM and by noon I remembered why I hate buying a car. One salesman left us standing in the scorching mid-day sun while he went in search of a key. We waited twenty minutes before we left; I hope he finally found a key. At another dealership, a young man refused to talk to us about price until we had eliminated all other makes and models from consideration. Another salesman tried to sell us a pre-owned car when all we wanted was directions to the new car lot. One man spent two hours of our time researching the competition’s offer to sell us a different make and model, rather than negotiating price on the car we wanted to buy from him. Eventually, we went back to the very first salesman and purchased a new Entourage, but we returned home feeling curiously unexcited. I think Bill’s “depression” came from the enormous check he had to write. I was down because after ten hours of torture, I have to wait another two days for delivery. It‘s a real bummer to spend all that time and money and have nothing new in the driveway.

No comments: